Friday

Why I teach



Good thought to end the week on.

The life of a supply teacher is not well suited for a night owl. Some days I know beforehand that I’m working so I make sure to go to bed early. However, twice this week I got the call 30 minutes before the start of school. This gave me 5 minutes to get ready, 20 to catch the bus and 5 minutes to prepare my lesson plans for the day. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful each day that I work.

I’m thankful for:
  • happy, captivated faces
  • hands shooting up to answer a question
  • acrostic poems
  • crazy monkey stickers
  • “The west wind blows…”
  • learning bit by bit what motivates kids, what builds trust, what makes kids laugh and of course what I’ll never do again
  • being given a chance to pass on my love for reading and ideas
  • being able to play soothing jazz music as my students work at their desks
  • scavenger hunts
  • storytime and Robert Munch
  • dictionary races
  • smiling all day
  • the day flying by

Things that are hard:

  • teaching 2nd graders double digit subtraction
  • teaching a grade 2/3 French immersion class for two days when the only things I can say in French are “bon jour”, “je t’aime” and “formage”
  • not laughing when the fifth grade girls talk about boys
  • 3:00 pm and erasing my name from the chalkboard
Quote of the day:
"Enjoy this while you can. Sure, parents are a pain, school's a bother, and life is depressing. But someday you'll realize how wonderful it was to be kid. Maybe you should start now."
~ Rules Kids Won't Learn in School

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the re-birth of your blog again. It was very sorely missed when you put it down. Reading your blog is one of the most fun things I do on the internet. Please, update more often loyal fans like me are refreshing every 5 minutes!